RTE star Brendan O’Connor could have to sit out this weekend’s Saturday Night Show after gruelling surgery for his broken arm.
Producers are worried that the presenter, who had titanium screws and plates inserted into his arm during the Sunday operation like U2’s Bono, won’t be recovered enough for TV.
He broke his arm after slipping in his bathroom six weeks ago, and had been carrying on in huge pain – even hosting the weekly show with his arm in a sling.
Crocked: Bosses fear he won’t make weekend show | RTE
But doctors called him in for surgery when X-rays showed it wasn’t healing properly.
However, speaking from his St Vincent’s hospital bed, Brendan said: “It was a bigger operation than I thought. I’m hopeful about making this Saturday’s show.
“The staff in St Vincent’s have been amazing. Everything you hear about how great they are is true.”
It comes just as the Cork host, 45, is facing a challenge from Ray D’Arcy – who is being lined up to take over the slot.
Challenge: Ray rumoured to be taking over slot | RTE
A source told the Sun: “Brendan is doing really well in the ratings at the moment when other RTE shows, like the new Lottery one, are struggling to get a foothold.”
A source added: “Brendan is on a roll, and the ratings clearly reflect that, so this couldn’t come at a worse time.”
Saturday Night Show boss Larry Masterson added he is “hopeful” of Brendan’s return for the show, but said: “You never know with these kind of injuries.
Injured: Brendan’s arm is in huge pain | VIPIRELAND.COM
“He was in horrific pain during Saturday night’s show and it’s a bit of a miracle he made it through that. He left immediately afterwards — which he has never done before — and was straight into St Vincent’s first thing the next morning.
“If he suffered an infection or was in too much pain, he just couldn’t do this weekend’s show. This couldn’t come at a worse time for Brendan.”