Love Island bosses have revealed the huge changes their making to their duty of care processes, following the deaths of two former contestants.
The popular reality show came under fire earlier this year, after former contestants Sophie Gradon and Mike Thalassitis sadly took their own lives.
Ahead of Love Island’s return on June 3, ITV released a statement confirming the changes they have made.
They wrote: “The production team have continued to evolve their processes with each series, as the show’s popularity has risen and the social and media attention on Islanders has increased.”
“The key changes this year are – enhanced psychological support, more detailed conversations with potential Islanders regarding the impact of participation on the show, bespoke training for all Islanders on social media and financial management and a proactive aftercare package which extends our support to all Islanders following their participation.”
Creative Director ITV Studios Entertainment Richard Cowles said: “Due to the success of the show our Islanders can find themselves in the public eye following their appearance.”
“We really want to make sure they have given real consideration to this and what appearing on TV entails. Discussing all of this with us forms a big part of the casting process and, ultimately, their decision to take part.”
“Also, as we are outlining today our welfare processes follow three key stages: pre-filming, filming and aftercare and we are increasing our post filming support to help Islanders following their time in villa,” he said.
Listen to the latest episode of the #Gosscast below: