Ad

Latest Posts

Kate Moss reveals why she agreed to testify in Johnny Depp vs Amber Heard trial

Kate Moss has revealed why she agreed to testify in Johnny Depp and Amber Heard’s defamation trial.

Back in May, the supermodel testified in defence of the actor, after his ex-wife Amber mentioned a false rumour that Johnny pushed Kate down a flight of stairs in the 90s.

Speaking on BBC Radio 4’s Desert Island Discs, the 48-year-old told presenter Lauren Laverne: “I know the truth about Johnny.”

“I know he never kicked me down the stairs,” she continued. “I had to say that truth.”

Kate famously dated Johnny between 1994 and 1998, and the pair remain friends to this day.

The model appeared at the Fairfax County Courthouse in Virginia via video link on May 25, and insisted Johnny never “pushed, kicked or threw her down any stairs”.

Earlier in the defamation trial, Amber had claimed she “heard a rumour” Kate was pushed down the stairs by Johnny while they were on a trip to Jamaica.

Lia Toby | WENN

Speaking from Gloucestershire, the 48-year-old explained how Johnny actually came to her aid during the incident.

“We were leaving the room and Johnny left the room before I did. There had been a rainstorm and as I left the room I slid down the stairs. I hurt my back. And I screamed because I didn’t know what had happened,” she recalled.

Kate said Johnny came running back to help her, and “carried me to my room and got me medical attention.”

When asked by Johnny’s team if the actor ever pushed her down the stairs ever, she replied: “No, he never pushed me, kicked me or threw me down any stairs.”

Johnny won his lawsuit against Amber last month, after a jury ruled her 2018 op-ed in the Washington Post was defamatory.

The 58-year-old launched a $50 million defamation lawsuit against his ex-wife in 2019, after she wrote about being an alleged victim of domestic violence in the op-ed.

Following a six-week trial and 13 hours of deliberations, the jury sided with Depp and awarded him $10 million in compensatory damages, and a further $5 million in punitive damages.

However, Fairfax County Circuit Court Judge Penney Azcarate reduced the punitive damages to $350,000, which is the State of Virginia’s legal limit, resulting in total damages of $10.4 million awarded to Johnny.

Credit: Dave Bedrosian/Future Image/WENN.com

Following the verdict, Amber’s lawyer Elaine Bredehoft revealed the actress is “absolutely not” able to pay that much in damages to Johnny.

She has since launched multiple requests to appeal the verdict, as she claimed “a number of things were allowed in this court that should not have been allowed”.

The attorney also blamed the verdict on a “number of evidentiary issues”, saying “there was so much evidence that did not come in.”

During the six-week long trial, Amber detailed multiple incidents of alleged abuse, and told the court that “violence became normal” towards the end of their relationship.

However, Johnny testified that he never hit his ex-wife, and claimed that she was the abuser in their relationship.

In court, the 58-year-old said the allegations that he was a “drunken, cocaine-fueled menace who beat women” have cost him “everything”.

Johnny and Amber first met in 2009 on the set of the film The Rum Diary, and were married in February 2015.

Their divorce was finalised two years later.

Ad

Latest Posts

Don't Miss

109.3k Followers
Follow