Home TV Nicola Adams confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing’s first ever same-sex couple

Nicola Adams confirmed for Strictly Come Dancing’s first ever same-sex couple

The Olympian boxer admitted she was excited to 'break boundaries' in the TV industry

SHARE
Nicola Adams will appear in Strictly's first same-sex pairing | BBC

Nicola Adams has been confirmed as the latest celeb to join this year’s line-up for Strictly Come Dancing, as she takes part in the show’s first ever same-sex couple.

The Olympian boxer made history as the first female amateur boxer to win a gold medal for boxing in the 2012 London Games, and will now make history again – this time in the hit dancing competition.

“It will be nice for the LGBT community to be able to see there are same-sex couples on the show as well,” the 37-year-old told BBC Breakfast.

“I’m really excited to be joining this year’s incredible line-up for Strictly Come Dancing. I’m a huge fan of the show and am thrilled to be part of something that holds such a special place in so many people’s hearts.

“People might know me from my work in the ring, but I’ll be every bit as passionate and dedicated on the dancefloor too.

“I also wanted to thank the BBC for supporting me and making me the first ever all female-pairing; and it’s amazing to be a part of the movement for change, diversity and breaking boundaries in the entertainment industry.”

The popular dance show have already announced The Wanted’s Max George, actress Caroline Quentin, and former American footballer Jason Bell for the upcoming season – as well as presenter Ranvir Singh and DJ Clara Amfo.

The new season will go ahead with very strict guidelines, which will reportedly include the dancers and the celebs quarantining together during the entire show run.

Bruno Tonioli previously opened up about the show’s format for this year following the coronavirus pandemic, admitting there would be a smaller production.

“This year will favour the better dancers because the focus is entirely on them as there won’t be the same level of big production and 25 people dancing alongside them,” he told The Sun.

The 64-year-old will be absent for the majority of the next season, only appearing via video-link on the Sunday night results show only – as he reportedly decided to prioritise the US show Dancing With The Stars.

A source told the Daily Star Sunday newspaper: “Travelling back and forth to the US isn’t likely to be possible this year. The primary concern is that regular flights would put Bruno at risk of catching the virus.”

“And on a logistical level he may need to quarantine every time he arrives back in Britain, which obviously isn’t viable if he needs to be back in the US just a few days later.”

The insider added: “Producers don’t want to take any chances. Bruno’s health is the priority.”

Meanwhile, a BBC spokesman said: “To ensure we deliver the high standards audiences know and love, and in light of ongoing considerations around Covid-19, this year’s series of Strictly will have a slightly shorter run than usual.

“The safety of our cast and crew is of the utmost importance to us,” they added.

On the latest episode of Goss Chats, Goss.ie Founder Ali Ryan chats to Lucy Kennedy about the big changes coming to Living With Lucy this season.

Plus the top TV presenter opens up about her new book, home schooling and how she’s been presenting her radio show from home.

#GossChats is sponsored by top Irish aesthetic clinic Haus of JeJuve.