RTE have decided to cancel The Voice of Ireland – airing Dancing With The Stars instead.
For the last two seasons there have been rumours that the broadcaster were looking to replace the show – with multiple reports that Louis Walsh would be heading a brand new series called Ireland’s Got Talent – but that is yet to happen.
Now RTE have confirmed the show is not coming back – and that an Irish version of Dancing With The Stars will be aired at the same time slot instead.
All over: Kathryn confirmed the news | VIPIRELAND.COM
Speaking about the axing, host Kathryn Thomas said she enjoyed her time on the show.
“It’s been an incredible journey over the past five years,” she said.
Since launching five years ago the show has come under fire as the winning act has always failed to launch a proper music career.
While judge Una Healy is working on solo music now, and Bressie has reunited with The Blizzards, it’s not yet known what Kian Egan and Rachel Stephens will go on to do.
In a statement from RTE, the broadcaster confirmed the show was going and said the series had been a success.
All over: Different judges have been on the panel | RTE
“Dancing with the Stars will replace The Voice of Ireland which had a very successful run for five series on RTÉ One,” a statement read.
Speaking about the decision Channel Controller for RTÉ One and RTÉ2 Adrian Lynch said “After five hugely successful seasons of The Voice Of Ireland now is a perfect time to refresh the Sunday evening entertainment slot with one of the world’s best-loved formats.
“We want to thank everyone involved in The Voice of Ireland for their incredible hard work over the past five years in the making the show such a success.”