Home Irish Showbiz George Hook set to return to Newstalk this weekend

George Hook set to return to Newstalk this weekend

The broadcaster will be back on the airwaves

SHARE

George Hook is set to return to the airwaves this weekend.

Back in September, the radio station announced that George had been given a new weekend slot, after he stepped down from his High Noon show.

The broadcaster was forced to step down, after he made controversial comments about rape live on air – which caused a seriously negative reaction online.

Now, it’s been revealed that George’s new weekend show is called ‘Hook’s Saturday Sit-In’, and it will air for the first time this weekend.

The show will run from 8am until 10am, following The Pat Kenny Show.

Dr Ciara Kelly has since landed George’s old slot, which is now called ‘Lunchtime Live’.

George was forced to step down from his old position after he discussed the story of an alleged rape of a woman live on air.

“When you look deeper into the story, you have to ask certain questions. Why does a girl who just meets a fella in a bar go back to a hotel room?” he said.

“She’s only just barely met him, she has no idea of his health conditions, she has no idea who he is, she has no idea of what dangers he might pose, but modern day social activity means that she goes back with him, then is SURPRISED when someone comes into the room and rapes her.”

VIPIRELAND.COM

After receiving a huge amount of complaints, with sponsors even cutting ties with George’s show, Newstalk suspended him, and released a full apology on their website.

In his own apology, George said, “I wish to apologise unreservedly for comments I made about rape on my radio programme on Newstalk yesterday.”

“It was unacceptable to suggest in any way that blame could be attributed to victims of rape. I apologise for the comments which caused hurt and offence, and for this I am truly sorry.”