Amber Heard has responded to allegations she pocked the $7million settlement attached to her divorce from Johnny Depp, after she promised to donate the money to charity.
After their divorce was finalised in January 2017, the actress promised to split the settlement money between Children’s Hospital Los Angeles and American Civil Liberties Union.
But according to DailyMail.com, the 34-year-old is yet to fulfil her pledge.
The publication has reported that Johnny’s legal team plan to use the allegation in their efforts to appeal the verdict of his defamation case against The Sun – after Amber cited the donation in a witness statement last year.
The actor took the British newspaper to court in 2020 over a 2018 article which labelled him a “wife beater”.
But Johnny ended up losing the defamation case, after a High Court judge sided with the publication, who relied on evidence from Amber in court.
In a witness statement dated February 26, 2020, Amber said: “I remained financially independent from him [Depp] the whole time we were together and the entire amount of my divorce settlement was donated to charity.”
Judge Andrew Nichol also referenced Amber’s donation in his court ruling, writing: “Her donation of the $7 million to charity is hardly the act one would expect of a gold-digger.”
In response to claims she is yet to fulfil her donation to both charities, Amber’s attorney Elaine Bredehoft blamed the delay on financial issues.
In a statement, she said: “Amber has already been responsible for seven figures in donations to charitable causes and intends to continue to contribute and eventually fulfil her pledge.”
“However, Amber has been delayed in that goal because Mr. Depp filed a lawsuit against her, and consequently, she has been forced to spend millions of dollars defending Mr. Depp’s false accusations against her.”
Ms. Bredehoft is referring to Johnny’s ongoing defamation case against Amber in the US.
The Pirates of the Caribbean star is currently suing his ex-wife for defamation, after she wrote about being an alleged victim of domestic violence in an op-ed for the Washington Post in December 2018.
While Johnny’s name was excluded from the piece, his legal team have argued that the op-ed implied that he “perpetrated domestic violence against her”.
The trial is set to take place this May.
Amber filed for divorce from Johnny in 2016, one year after the couple tied the knot.
At the time, the actress obtained a temporary restraining order against him, and alleged that he was verbally and physically abusive towards her – claims Johnny has vehemently denied.
The pair eventually settled their divorce out of court in August 2016, and issued a joint statement which read: “Our relationship was intensely passionate and at times volatile, but always bound by love. Neither party has made false accusations for financial gain. There was never any intent of physical or emotional harm.”
Goss.ie have contacted reps for Johnny Depp and Amber Heard for comment.