It’s Kanye West’s 40th birthday today, and we decided to celebrate the almighty Yeezy by listing out 40 of his craziest quotes.
He is known for his eccentric personality and wildly confident assertions, but we’ve managed to narrow down our favourite ones.
Let’s face it, Kanye wouldn’t be Kanye without confusing us with his abstract thoughts – and we absolutely love it.
Here are 40 of Kanye’s craziest quotes:
1. ‘I am God’s vessel. But my greatest pain in life is that I will never be able to see myself perform live.’
2. ‘Sometimes people write novels and they just be so wordy and so self-absorbed. I am not a fan of books. I would never want a book’s autograph. I am a proud non-reader of books.’
3. ‘Taylor Swift beat Beyoncé at the Grammys? Beyoncé be dancing in heels and sh*t.’
4. ‘I am the number one human being in music. That means any person that’s living or breathing is number two.’
5. ‘I don’t even listen to rap. My apartment is too nice to listen to rap in.’
6. ‘Fur pillows are hard to actually sleep on.’
7. ‘Michelle Obama cannot Instagram a pic like what my girl Instagrammed the other day’.
8. ‘I hate when I’m on a flight and I wake up with a water bottle next to me like “oh great now I gotta be responsible for this water bottle”.’
9. ‘One of my biggest Achilles heels has been my ego. And if I, Kanye West, can remove my ego, I think there’s hope for everyone.’
10. ‘Yo Taylor, I’m really happy for you, I’ll let you finish, but Beyoncé has one of the best videos of all time. One of the best videos of all time!’
11. ‘I believe that bad taste is vulgar. It’s like cursing. I think the world can be saved through design.’
12. ‘I feel like I’m too busy writing history to read it.’
13. ‘I have to dress Kim everyday so she doesn’t embarrass me.’
14. ‘[AIDS is] a man-made disease. [It was] placed in Africa just like crack was placed in the black community to break up the Black Panthers.’
15. ‘There’s certain things that black people are the best at and certain things that white people are the best at. Whatever we as black people are the best at, I’m a go get that. Like, on Christmas I don’t want any food that tastes white. And when I go to purchase a house, I don’t want my credit to look black.’
16. ‘The media crucify me like they did Christ.’
17. ‘Just imagine if I woke up one day and I was whack. What would I do then?’
18. ‘You should only believe about 90 percent of what I say. As a matter of fact, don’t even believe anything that I’m saying at all. I could be completely f**king with you, and the world, the entire time.’
19. ‘There’s nothing I really wanted to do in life that I wasn’t able to get good at. That’s my skill. I’m not really specifically talented at anything except for the ability to learn. That’s what I do. That’s what I’m here for.’
20. ‘I’m a pop enigma. I live and breathe every element in life. I rock a bespoke suit and I go to Harold’s for fried chicken. It’s all these things at once, because, as a taste maker, I find the best of everything.’
21. ‘People ask me a lot about my drive. I think it comes from, like, having a sexual addiction at a really young age.
‘Look at the drive that people have to get sex – to dress like this and get a haircut and be in the club in the freezing cold at 3 A.M., the places they go to pick up a girl. If you can focus the energy into something valuable, put that into work ethic.’
22. ‘I jog in Lanvin.’
23. About Kim Kardashian, “Y’all are acting like this ain’t the most beautiful woman of all time. Wait a second, wait a second – I’m talking about arguably of human existence.
‘The top 10 of human existence. I don’t give a f*ck what type of jacket she got on.’
24. ‘If you’re a Kanye West fan, you’re not a fan of me, you’re a fan of yourself. You will believe in yourself. I’m just the espresso.’
25. ‘Why do you think the song “N*ggas in Paris” is called “N*ggas in Paris?” Cause n*ggas was in Paris!’
26. ‘Versace! Versace! Versace! Versace! Versace! Versace! We love Versace. Versace is the greatest designer of all time!’
27. ‘Visiting my mind is like visiting the Hermès factory. Sh*t is real.’
28. ‘For me, first of all, dopeness is what I like the most. Dopeness. People who want to make things as dope as possible, and, by default, make money from it.’
29. ‘Oh my God, I’m one of the greatest rappers in the world.’
30. ‘I’m the closest that hip-hop is getting to God. In some situations I’m like a ghetto Pope.’
31. ‘What do you mean by Justin Bieber was my favourite song of 2015’
32. ‘No flip-flops on black dudes. Wear some hot-ass Jordans on the beach.’
33. ‘People could say, “What do you mean you want to help the world and you’re so concerned about fashion?” It’s illegal to be naked. It’s not illegal to not listen to music. That is a very high opinion to have. That is something that is extremely important.’
34. ‘As a man I am flawed, but my music is perfect.’
35. ‘I am Warhol! I am the number one most impactful artist of our generation. I am Shakespeare in the flesh. Walt Disney, Nike, Google.’
36. ‘When I think of competition it’s like I try to create against the past. I think about Michelangelo and Picasso, you know, the pyramids.’
37. ‘There’s no way a Kim Kardashian shouldn’t have a star on the Walk of Fame.’
38. ‘When Beyoncé was working on her album, she had pictures of Kim on the wall because Kim represents powerful women.’
39. ‘I will be the leader of a company that ends up being worth billions of dollars, because I got the answers. I understand culture. I am the nucleus.’
40. ‘Like, I’m just giving up my body on the stage; I’m putting my life at risk, literally.’